- This event has passed.
Austerity and After: Learning from Greece, pt.1
January 24, 2016 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm| Free
The first of a two-part report-back on austerity and grassroots movements in Greece by Larry Haiven and Max Haiven, who recently visited the country to meet with organizers and activists developing the solidarity economy.
This first session provides background, context and analysis of the current state of affairs, including
- an introduction to the nation’s recent history and the European context,
- the birth and monstrous life of “the crisis,”
- the recent cycles of social movements,
- the rise (and fall?) of the left-wing SYRIZA government,
- the current “refugee crisis,” and
- other tendencies and developments.
This presentation is tailored specifically for the Halifax context.
- What lessons can we learn from Greece’s experience of and struggle against austerity?
- What might the future hold for them, and for us?
- How can we take inspiration from and be in solidarity with Greece’s grassroots struggles?